Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Book Signing On January 31st An Immeasurable Success

My book signing on January 31st at Coles Book Store in the Bayshore Shopping Centre was beyond doubt, an immeasurable success. While sales of Death's Door - Where Right and Glory Lead exceeded my expectations; it was not the highlight.

The the icing on the cake for me was the interest shown in the book, and my work. I was very pleased, and hope that the interest shown will generate in more 'fans' and readers of my work - its always nice to be appreciated.

Now, something else I noticed about the book signing (and yes, it may be off topic just a tad):

There are a lot more sci-fi fans out there than I realized; and the vast majority of individuals coming up to talk were women. Now, I know I'm good looking (well, I am...), it wouldn't be my looks that attracted the women. While unscientific, I have to say from numbers alone, more women seemed interested in reading science fiction books (at least in my little part of the universe).

Now that could be due to the fact that sci-fi guys are stuck in dark basement bedrooms (in their parents houses) playing on-line games and dressing up as their favorite Star Trek and Star Wars characters.

Sad, but this may be a truism that we have to live with. So my advice to female fans of science fiction, keep reading and enjoy it. To the male science fiction fans, get off the couch, get out of the parents basement, turn on the lights and get a life. Read a book or two or three. The women have you outnumbered and you're living up to the stereotype.

No comments:

Post a Comment